Organic Weighted Blanket (coverless)
- Unit Price
✨ IN STOCK: Available to SHIP IMMEDIATELY✨
- GOTS certified 100% organic cotton.
- Certified lead-free 100% glass bead filling.
- Handwash only.
- Duvet cover sold separately.
FREE SHIPPING within the continental US.
Contact us if you would like to place a preorder for products no longer in stock or for custom orders of a different weight and size combo.
We spoke to an expert on the matter and here's what we found out:
Occupational Therapist (OT), Ana do Valle's recommendation:
"For the average person, a weighted blanket should be 5-7% of their bodyweight. In cases of trauma, high stress or other conditions, 10% of their bodyweight is recommended because there is a need for more proprioception."
If 10% of your body weight is in between the weight sizes we offer, we recommend getting the lighter blanket.
Some people prefer a blanket that is heavier or lighter as each person's needs are unique. Those who struggle with sensory overload may crave a much heavier weight, for example. As Ana do Valle (OT) further explains:
"Some individuals (adults or children) feel comfortable and benefit from using heavier weighted blankets. They utilize the blanket for 10-15 min to down-regulate the nervous system. This can be at bed time or when taking "me time" during the day. In this case the blanket functions more so as a cocoon. It’s always helpful to consult with an occupational therapist when you have questions regarding the use of a weighted blanket as weight can vary from case to case. Most importantly, the individual needs to be able to choose the weight they feel comfortable with. The weight should not be an imposition but a choice based on comfort level."
Ana do Valle is a licensed OT in Boulder, CO. You can find more information about her work here.
Tips to figuring out the best weight for you:
Case 1. If you're already sleeping with many blankets...
Try weighing all your blankets together to see what weight you like:
- Weigh yourself on a scale and note the number.
- Pick up your blankets, stand on the scale, and note the number.
- Calculate the difference between those numbers, and you’ll know the weight of the blankets.
- Once you've found the weight, decide if you’d like your weighted blanket to be heavier or if you're content with the weight you’re already using.
- Choose a weighted blanket that best matches your height and preferred weight.
Case 2. If you're not sure what amount of weight feels good on your body...
- If you have not yet tried sleeping under a pile of blankets, gather together as many as you can find, hop on a bed, and spread the blankets out over your body.
- Keep adding blankets (or towels, clothes, whatever you can find!) until you reach a weight you are happy with.
- Using the instructions in case 1, weigh out your blankets.
- Once you've found the weight, choose a weighted blanket that best matches your height and the weight you've settled on.
KEEP IN MIND: holding 20 pounds of weights in your hands feels a lot different than having a 20-pound blanket spread out over your body.